Saturday, May 18, 2013

Clean Eating

Hey guys! It has been a BUSY week!! (or at least it seems that way) So since my last post (and I might've mentioned it) I have been following Tone It Up (TIU)'s Bikini Series.. or trying to follow it. I'm doing pretty good but could be doing much better. I love their workout and they're really challenging for me. I haven't purchased their nutrition plan yet because it's pretty pricey, but I think I'm going to in the upcoming weeks. Basically, they believe in clean eating.



What's clean eating? Pretty much eating whole, natural, unprocessed foods. Cut that crap out of your diet. We eat so much processed foods that we don't even realized what's processed anymore. It's new to me, and  time consuming, honestly, but totally worth it. It's best if you prep everything at the beginning of the week, but I feel the more I get used to it, the less time consuming it will seem to me. Now, this isn't to say that I'm never going to eat processed foods ever again, because I am, but if I'm at home cooking it's not going to be processed 99% of the time! Or that's the goal anyways...

Anyways up until this weekend (definitely went off the diet! and slacked on the working out) I had lost a few pounds and I can tell a difference in the way some of my clothes fit. HOLLLLLA! I'm going to the beach in less than a month so no slacking off.

I've made a couple recipes out of Clean Eating Magazine this week and they were delicious! My favorite was the Shrimp & Goat Cheese Quesadillas. I love me some goat cheese!


Serves: 4
Hands-on time: 9 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
INGREDIENTS:
  • 6 oz frozen cooked shrimp (peeled and deveined, tail off), thawed, drained and coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
  • 4 oz goat cheese, crumbled (1/2 cup)
  • 1/2 cup jarred sliced roasted red peppers, drained
  • 1/4 cup jarred sliced green olives, drained (I left these out b/c I don't like green olives and I didn't think they would go well with the other ingredients)
  • 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
  • 4 small whole-grain tortillas (each 6 to 8 inches in diameter)
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
INSTRUCTIONS:
  1. Preheat oven to 425˚F.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix shrimp, cheese, roasted peppers, olives and basil. Lay tortillas out in a single layer on a flat surface. Scoop quarter of shrimp mixture into center of each tortilla. Fold tortilla over filling into a half-moon shape, pressing gently to flatten filling evenly inside tortilla.
  3. Place tortillas on a parchment-lined baking tray. Brush tops of each tortilla with 1/2 tsp oil and sprinkle with black pepper. Bake for 6 minutes, until quesadillas are golden brown. Remove from oven and let rest for 1 to 2 minutes. Cut each quesadilla in half and serve immediately.
Nutrients per quesadilla (2 halves): Calories: 308, Total Fat: 13 g, Sat. Fat: 5 g, Omega-3s: 240 mg, Omega-6s: 460 mg, Carbs: 26 g, Fiber: 3 g, Sugars: 2 g, Protein: 18 g, Sodium: 554 mg, Cholesterol: 78 mg

Quick, easy, clean, and delicious!

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment